The best dictionary apps for ios and android.
The Free Dictionary Farlex App
- Dictionary comes in English, Spanish, French, and 11 other languages
- Contains Medical, Legal, and other specialty dictionaries, all from the most trusted sources.
- App can translate English into more than 40 languages and access dozens of other translation options.
- Share definitions via social networks, email, and text.
- English dictionary can be used without an Internet connection.
- Multiple English dictionaries, featuring extensive definitions, pronunciations, usage sentences, etymologies, and more.
- Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with," and "In definition."
- Multiple thesauri, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, even images.
- Multiple encyclopedias referenced, including Britannica, Columbia, Collins, even Wikipedia.
- Online dictionaries in 13 other languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian,
Greek, Arabic, Polish, Turkish, and Russian.
- App plays audio pronunciations of words and view a pronunciation key.
- User can create unlimited bookmarks. Sort alphabetically or chronologically.
- Content is updated daily, including Word of the Day, This Day in History, Quote of the Day, Today's Birthday,
News of the Day etc. User can set notifications for daily delivery.
- User can play games, including Spelling Bee, Match Up, Words Within Words, as well as Hangman in a dozen different
- You can customise your homepage: add or remove articles, games, even personalized horoscope and local weather
in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
- Sleek, polished and inviting UI; very easy to read and navigate through content.
- Easy-to-use dictionary/thesuarus toggle function built into searchbar (on Android; on iOS you must search the term first,
but then can toggle).
- Can make Word of the Day a widget on the Android home screen.
- Extra features (W.O.D., "Hot Word", etc.) are more compact and less cluttered on app's homepage, but the content is a lot
less interesting (aimed very specically to "lexi-philes", or word-nerds).
- Has microphone function built into search bar.
- Definitely English-native-centred app than TFD; lacks almost all of the reference functions that TFD has to offer.
Merriam Webster Dictionary App
- Function bar at bottom neatly organises its features (dictionary, recent search, favourites, W.O.D.),
giving more of a feeling of control over app's content.
- However, 'extra' content is limited to the above examples.
- Search results are straightforward enough, but feel kind of messy, or claustrophobic
(especially around different forms of the word).
- Next to no thesaurus function (results list one or two synonyms; no additional thesaurus section).
- Feels like reading a digital textbook.
Altervista Dictionary App
- Works offline-this is really the sole benefit that this app has to offer,
and they advertise it as such in the app's description on Google Play (and reviewers are quick to mention it as well).
- Pronunciation of the terms is very clean looking-doesn't have all the linguistic characters that make most
pronunciation elements hard to read in dictionaries.
- Has a 'read-aloud' function, which could be useful (but has that robot voice, which is hard to listen to).
- Plain black background isn't nice to look at at first, but the contrasting white-lettered definitions are quite
nice to read as a result.
- No kind of UI to speak of really, just a simple search bar and then results.
- Ad-free (mentioned by several reviewers as a big plus).
Colordict Dictionary Wikipedia App
- Works Offline.
- Simple definition no pronunciation (except audio), no word conjugations, no etymology.
- Words with multiple meanings are listed without apparent order (no usual listing of 1, 2, 3...etc.)
- Nice tidy thesuarus box at the bottom (the position of which the user can change), but it doesnt let you link to words therein.
- Simplistic no reference functions, no real homepage.
- Ad-free (again, mentioned by several reviewers).
- Not sure why this bumped TFD app out of top five it had lower downloads and a lower average rating.